MG Legal, Nationwide Food Allergy Solicitors. The team that puts you first. Contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation: 01772 783314 or email at: email@example.com
Woman has allergic reaction after eating McDonald's wrap.
A woman with a severe allergy to eggs was hospitalised after eating a McDonald's wrap because staff wrongly added mayonnaise to her order.
In 2021 Holly Carr went into anaphylactic shock and ended up in the hospital after eating a chicken wrap from a McDonald's branch in Crawley.
McDonald's initially refused to accept responsibility and it wasn't until they were due to face Holly in court this month the firm admitted liability and reached a financial settlement.
Holly Carr was enjoying a night in with her family on May 6, 2021, when they decided to order from McDonald's.
The 37-year-old specifically ordered her grilled chicken wrap without mayonnaise, due to her allergy, which she developed during adulthood.
When the food arrived, their order seemed to be correct, and Ms Carr's wrap had a “no mayonnaise” sticker placed on the front. But this was not the case, and after taking her first bite, she instantly knew something was wrong.
Holly said "It looked like my order was right because the wrap had a 'no mayo' sticker on it."
"I didn't think twice about checking, but after taking a bite, I immediately tasted the mayonnaise.
"I started to be violently sick and was drifting in and out of consciousness, and in that moment, I felt terrified."
"My fiance called 111 and they instructed him how to use my EpiPen, which saved my life."
"They sent an ambulance and I was taken to hospital where they ran some tests and gave me lots of fluids."
"But, thankfully, because I wasn't on my own, and I had a second epipen at home, I was swiftly discharged."
Ms Carr started legal proceedings against McDonald's a week after the incident. For almost two years, she claims McDonald's blamed her for not reading the label or the allergen advice.
But last week, the fast food brand "admitted liability" for the incident, according to a legal letter, and opted to settle outside of court for an undisclosed fee. Ms Carr says she's happy to have received a financial settlement, but she fears the company hasn't learned its lesson.
Holly said "It makes me so angry that they denied responsibility for so long,”
"The amount I've received should be more to be honest, but I'm so tired of it now. It's been dragging on for nearly two years."
"I've seen a psychologist, who diagnosed me with PTSD from the incident, which can make eating hard sometimes."
"I hope they've learnt their lesson, but the way they've handled it doesn't fill me with confidence.”
Our food allergy solicitors accept all of our food allergy claims and nut allergic reaction claims, on a NO WIN NO FEE basis, and have a success rate of over 99%.
Statement from Mcdonalds
A spokesman for McDonald's said: “We would like to offer our apologies to this customer for their experience."
"We take order accuracy very seriously and have procedures in place to help ensure customers are served correctly."
"We are disappointed that we fell short of these high standards on this occasion and additional training has been provided to the restaurant team to ensure they understand the policies in place.”