MG Legal, Leading Conveyancing Solicitors. The team that put you first. Contact us to speak to a solicitor today: 01995 602129 or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
MG Legal's Ultimate House-Viewing Checklist
When viewing a house or property, there can be a lot to take in. To help make viewings easier for you, and make sure that you don't forget anything important, we have put together the ultimate checklist of important questions that you need to consider.
Not all of these questions will apply to every property, for example if you are purchasing a flat then the exterior of the building will not be of as much importance to you. However, our trusted checklist has been used by hundreds of our clients to ensure that they make the most of their viewings, and now it can help you too.
• How sturdy is the front door?
• Is the front door well insulated?
• Does the front doorbell work?
• Do you have a storage cupboard in the hallway?
General questions to consider upon entry:
• Is there a burglar alarm?
• When was the fuse box checked?
• Have you had the electrics tested?
• When were the electrics repaired?
• Where do guests park?
• Is the property freehold or leasehold? If it’s leasehold, how long is left on the lease, and can it be extended?
• Is the property a listed building or in a preserved area?
• What is the EPC rating?
• What is the local area like?
• What is public transport like?
• Are there schools nearby?
• How noisy is the area?
• Is the neighborhood safe?
• What are the views like in each room?
• Are you overlooked by other houses?
• Are there any signs of damp anywhere?
• What condition are the walls, floors, and ceilings in?
• What’s underneath the carpet?
• What’s underneath the current wall decoration? (i.e. old wallpaper, etc)
• Do all of the light switches and sockets work? How many sockets are there in each room? Are they all accessible?
• Does the boiler work well? When was it last serviced?
• What built-in storage is there in the property?
• Does the property have a fireplace? If so, does it work? Is it safe? Do you use it?
• Are there any issues with the windows? When were they last replaced?
• What is your internet like in the property?
• What is the condition of the toilet? Does it all work correctly?
• How is the water pressure? If the shower is electric, does it all work okay?
• What kind of heating is there?
• Is there any storage in the bathroom?
• Have you had any issues with leaking in the bathroom?
• Are you connected to the sewers?
• What condition is the décor of the bathroom in?
• How old are the appliances?
• Are there any appliances included in the price? Are they in good working order?
• Is there any storage in the kitchen?
• Where is the lighting located?
The Loft or Cellar:
• Is the loft insulted and/or boarded out?
• Are there often animals in the loft/cellar?
• Is there working electricity and lights?
• What condition is the interior woodwork in?
• What direction does the garden face?
• Does the garden get the sun?
• Do you think the garden needs any improvements made?
• *Don’t ask this one* Take a quick look over the fences; what do the neighbour’s gardens look like?
• Where are the bins stored?
• Is there a garage? If so, does the garage have electricity and lighting?
• Are there any sheds? If so, are they included?
• How far does the land go?
• Are there any rights of way over the land for other people?
• Is the exterior of the property in good condition?
• Are there any shared walls?
• Who is responsible for the fences?