Longridge: 01772 783314 | Garstang: 01995 602129 | Lancaster: 01524 581306 
Longridge: 01772 783 314 
Garstang: 01995 602 129 
Lancaster: 01524 581 306 

Do I have to wait 2 years before getting divorced? 

Many people still believe that you need to wait until you have been separated for 2 years before you can get divorced. This is not the case at all. 
As we are still waiting for the ‘no fault’ divorce to be introduced then if a person wishes to issue a petition within 2 years then they must rely on one of the following facts :- 
‘the respondent has committed adultery and the petitioner finds it intolerable to live with the respondent’; or 
‘the respondent had behaved in such a way that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the respondent’ 
Behaviour is referred to as “unreasonable behaviour” even by the Court, however the definition states that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the respondent because of their behaviour. Therefore behaviour can cover almost everything and it does not need to be a set of allegations or accusations. It is what that particular petitioner can't put up with from the person they are married to. What is a “deal breaker” for some may not be such for others. Many potential petitioners are relieved to hear this particularly if the parties have simply drifted apart. An experienced family lawyer can find sufficient behaviours to enable a petition to proceed even in the most amicable of separations. 

 Get in touch and talk to a Family Law expert now 

Understanding, professional and completely deidcated to your cause;  
contact MG Legal's Family Law experts and we will get back to you within one business hour. 
You never know what life will throw at you, and there are times when you need the best advice on family issues; even if it’s just to put your mind at rest. 
Our leading Family Law experts offer an initial fixed fee 30 minute consultation and we pride ourselves on client care (so, basically looking after you), and negotiating the best settlement to available in your particular case. 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings