Longridge: 01772 783314 | Garstang: 01995 602129 | Lancaster: 01524 581306 
Longridge: 01772 783 314 
Garstang: 01995 602 129 
Lancaster: 01524 581 306 

What if I want to exclude a family member from my Will? 

Let’s give an example:- Jack has three children, Anna, Kim and Peter. His relationship with Peter has broken down and, as a consequence, Peter has had no contact with his father for 10 years. Jack does not wish to make provision for Peter in his Will. Jack is free to leave his estate to whomever he likes, however, this freedom is limited somewhat by statute. The Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, provides that certain classes of people may apply for financial provision from a deceased’s estate and this includes a spouse or civil partner, a former spouse or civil partner, who has not remarried or entered into another civil partnership, a child of the deceased, somebody treated as a child of the deceased or any person who was being financially maintained by the deceased prior to his death.  
The Court will take into account, amongst other things, the circumstances of the applicant, the size and nature of the estate and, where relevant, the conduct of the applicant. 

Get in touch and talk to a wills and trusts expert today. 

MG Legal's expert private client solicitors are experienced in dealing with all aspects of wills, trusts, lasting powers of administration, probate matters and estate administration.  

Why choose MG Legal's Will writing experts? 

With a no-nonsense, pragmatic approach, our expert team are experienced in drafting Wills, Lasting Powers of Attorney, Trusts, and Deputyship Applications, and all at an affordable fixed cost. 
With over 20 years' experience, the Will writing team at MG Legal offer a service that is second to none, with what we feel is the best advice, offered in an unrushed atmosphere.  
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings