Longridge: 01772 783314 | Garstang: 01995 602129 | Lancaster: 01524 581306 
Longridge: 01772 783 314 
Garstang: 01995 602 129 
Lancaster: 01524 581 306 

Road traffic accidents with animals.  

If you have been injured as a driver or passenger on a road or carriageway, as a result of a road traffic accident with an animal, such as a horse, sheep, cow, or cat or dog, you may be able to pursue a claim for personal injury compensation, in addition to the repairs to the vehicle you were travelling in.  
MG Legal offer a no win no fee agreement on all road traffic accident claims involving animals and horses. 

Why choose MG Legal? 

MG Legal’s expert personal injury solicitors have a success rate in excess of 99% and settle many thousands of personal injury claims, on a yearly basis. Call your nearest office now, or email us at injury@mglegal.co.uk, and one of our personal injury specialists will make contact with you today. 

Can I make a personal injury claim if the accident involved an animal? 

Anyone who has been in a road traffic accident involving an animal can claim for personal injury compensation if the accident was not their fault.  
MG Legal’s expert personal injury solicitors have won personal injury compensation for thousands of injured clients, many of whom have been involved in a road traffic accident with animals. Accidents involving horses, cows, and wild animals are actually commonplace, with the British Horse Society reporting 845 incidents involving horses and motor vehicles, including cars and motorcycles, being reported to them in 2019. There are approximately 74,000 accidents involving deer each year in the UK, with vehicle damage, including repair costs, and total loss value of motor vehicles, estimated at around £17 million. 

Have you been injured in the last three years? 

Get in touch today to start your claim for personal injury compensation 
MG Legal accept all Personal Injury Compensation claims on a "No Win, No Fee" basis and have a success rate of over 99% 

If I have been injured in a road traffic accident with an animal, who do I claim from? 

Liability for Livestock 
If an animal such as a cow, sheep, pig or goat or donkey, or even smaller livestock animal such as chickens and hens, are the cause of your road traffic accident, it is the farmer or livestock owner’s responsibility to ensure their land is fenced, gated and secure, so that their animals cannot escape and stray on to roads and motorways, then any claim for personal injury, or vehicle damage, would be pursued against the farmer, or livestock owner if the land is not farmland. 
If it can be proven that a farmer, or landowner failed to maintain safe surroundings to keep their animals from escaping, they will be liable for any road traffic accidents that occur as a result. MG Legal’s team are expert solicitors dealing with road traffic accident compensation claims involving animals and horses.  
Liability for Deer and Wild Animals 
Bearing in mind the statistics given earlier, that deer caused an estimated £74 million of damage to property and vehicles, including cars and motorcycles, in 2019 alone, then it comes as no surprise that our personal injury solicitors have a wealth of experience when handling personal injury claims involving deer and wild animals. The rules for pursuing claims for personal injury involving animals are simple, and all point to ownership. If the deer involved in the collision with your vehicle has escaped from an enclosure, such as a zoo, or venison farm, a claim for compensation is possible against the animal’s owner. If it transpires that the deer is wild, it may not be possible to demonstrate ownership of the animal, and therefore there may not be a liable party to pursue a claim against. Speak to one of MG Legal’s road traffic accident experts, and we will advise you if you have claim for compensation. 
Liability for Pets 
If a domestic animal, such as a dog or cat is found to be the cause of a road traffic accident, causing personal injury, and damages to property, then you can claim personal injury compensation from the pet’s owner. Dogs and cats are usually pets who will have an owner. In many cases they may be microchipped, enabling identification of the owner. As with the farmer, and their livestock, pet owners have a legal responsibility to stop their animals from escaping their control, be it from their property, or whilst out for a walk, and entering into the road, or path of a correctly proceeding car motorcycle, or pushbike. If a domestic animal such as a dog or cat causes a road traffic accident, causing personal injury, their owners would be deemed liable for the crash, and any compensation awarded will usually be covered by their home insurance policy. 

What injuries can I claim for compensation for after a road traffic accident with an animal? 

MG Legal’s personal injury solicitors have in-depth experience of all road traffic accident claims involving animals. The animals most likely to be involved in road accidents include, horses, cows, dogs, deer and sheep, and our team have won compensation for clients with minor injuries such as whiplash injuries, neck shoulder or arm injuries, neck, shoulder or arm injuries, hip knee or leg injuries, to more serious, life changing injuries to the head or brain, or back and spine. Our team have over 30 years’ worth of experience in complex personal injury claims, including spinal fractures, complex fractures, and brain injury. 

What if the driver was at fault, and I was a passenger? 

Passengers can claim from the driver of their vehicle if the driver was at fault. Pedestrians, cyclists, those on motorcycles, and those on horseback, are all able to pursue a claim for personal injury compensation from the negligent party’s insurance.  
Contact our expert personal injury solicitors to discuss how to start your claim. Our success rates and glowing reviews speak for themselves. 

What is my road traffic accident with an animal claim worth? 

Every award of damages for personal injury compensation depends on the injury sustained, the effects and restrictions on your everyday life, as well as the chances of you making a full recovery, and the prognosis, in months or years, of you doing so. MG Legal’s expert personal injury solicitors will take into account all of your personal circumstances, and make sure you are awarded the maximum compensation for your injuries, lost earnings, and damaged items. 

How long does a road traffic accident personal injury claim take to settle? 

If the animal's owner is traced, and liability is admitted, then our personal injury solicitors will have your claim settled as quickly as possible. Our aim is to get you on your feet, and back to full recovery as soon as possible, so as soon as we receive your Claim Form, work will commence, and we will be evidence-gathering and working on settlement of your claim.  

How long do I have to make a Personal Injury Compensation Claim if the accident was caused by an animal? 

The Limitation Act 1980 states that, in most cases at least, an injured party has 3 years to make a claim for personal injury compensation. Minors, meaning children under the age of 18, have 3 years from the date of their 18th birthday. Time limits may differ if you are acting on behalf of someone with limited mental capacity, if you are acting as guardian or subject a lasting power of attorney. If you have any questions or queries, then please do not hesitate to contact one of MG Legal’s personal injury experts, here… 

What to do if you are injured in a road traffic accident with an animal? 

Make sure you can trace where the animal came from, and take the address and contact details of the farmer, landowner, or pet owner. Take photographs and video footage of the road traffic accident, including the location of the accident, and the position of your vehicle. If you know the details of the animal’s owner, note them down as they will be required to hand to your personal injury solicitor at MG Legal, enabling you to make a no win no fee personal injury compensation claim, arising out of your road traffic accident with an animal. 

What if I was a passenger in a vehicle that had a collision with an animal? 

If you were a passenger in a vehicle, or pillion passenger on a motorbike, then you are an innocent passenger, and can make a claim for personal injury through the driver’s policy of motor insurance. Contact MG Legal and our expert team will make sure you get the compensation you deserve, and all on a no win no fee agreement, with no financial risk to you. 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings