MG Legal Solicitors 
Longridge: 01772 783314 Garstang: 01995 602129 Lancaster: 01524 581306 Lytham: 01253 202452  
It can be confusing: is my car use just social, or is it commuting, or do I need to include business use? 
Well, MG Legal’s expert team of Personal Injury solicitors in Longridge have pooled their knowledge, to make sure that you choose the right classification, so that you don’t get caught out if you try and make a claim. 
Let’s start with the single class: social use. This is more commonly known as social, domestic and pleasure, and covers you for general day-to-day driving, such as shopping, visiting family (or maybe not, if you try and avoid this wherever possible!), and going to visit your team of Personal Injury solicitors in Longridge (or Garstang, or Lancaster – whichever office is most convenient for you). 
The next class is social and commuting, covering all of the above, as well as driving to one permanent place of work, like our team of Personal Injury solicitors commuting to the Garstang office, or travel to a railway station if you park your car there on the way to work. Similarly, if you drop a friend or colleague off at work, then this could be classed in this category. If they’re paying you for the lift, then don’t get caught out – this could be classed as taxiing! 
The last option which insurers generally offer is business use. This covers all of the above, and more: business-related driving around for work, going to appointments or, like our team of Personal Injury solicitors, travelling to a client’s house or office for home appointments, which are available on request. 
If you drive for a living, it’s worth checking with your insurance company the terms of the policy, as you may need more specialist insurance. 
So, why do you need to get it right? Well, if you get it wrong, it could invalidate your insurance in the event that you’re in an accident. This could result in the insurance provider cancelling the policy, or demanding the correct premium from you. On top of this, if you have insurance invalidated, you have to declare this in the future, which could increase the costs going forward. 
If you’re unsure what class you should be putting, make sure to ring your insurance company to check before ‘signing on the dotted line’. 
MG Legal - Your Local Solicitors 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 


Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings