What is Medical Negligence?
Posted on 10th March 2018
Title: What is Medical Negligence? Understanding Your Rights with MG Legal**
Navigating the complex world of medical negligence can be overwhelming. MG Legal, your expert medical negligence solicitors, are here to explain what medical negligence is, with real-life examples to help you understand your rights.
Medical negligence, also known as medical malpractice, occurs when a healthcare provider or medical professional fails to provide the standard of care expected in their field, resulting in harm or injury to a patient. This can encompass a wide range of situations, including but not limited to:
1. **Misdiagnosis or Delayed Diagnosis:** Failing to diagnose a condition correctly or in a timely manner, leading to a delay in treatment and potentially worsening the patient's condition.
2. **Surgical Errors:** Mistakes made during surgery, such as operating on the wrong site, leaving surgical instruments inside the patient's body, or performing an incorrect procedure.
3. **Treatment Errors:** Providing incorrect treatment for a patient's condition, or failing to provide necessary treatment, which can lead to further health complications.
4. **Medication Errors:** Prescribing or administering the wrong medication or dosage, resulting in adverse effects or failure to treat the condition effectively.
5. **Failure to Warn of Risks:** Not informing patients about the risks associated with a medical procedure or treatment, which is a part of informed consent.
6. **Poor Aftercare or Follow-up:** Neglecting the necessary aftercare or follow-up, which can lead to complications or delayed recovery.
For a case to be considered medical negligence, it must generally meet the following criteria:
- **Duty of Care:** The healthcare provider had a duty to provide care to the patient.
- **Breach of Duty:** The healthcare provider failed to meet the standard of care expected.
- **Causation:** The breach of duty directly caused harm or injury to the patient.
- **Damages:** The patient suffered harm or injury as a result of the negligence.
Medical negligence cases can be complex, often requiring expert testimony to establish the standard of care and how it was breached. When patients believe they have been victims of medical negligence, they often seek legal advice to understand their rights and potentially pursue compensation for their injuries or losses.
**Medical Negligence cases settled by MG Lehal’s medical negligence solicitors:**
- **Misdiagnosis:** Cancer misdiagnosis. When the NHS believed a mole was benign, when in fact is was cancerous, the medical negligence experts at MG Legal won the case on a no win no fee basis.
- **Surgical Errors:** Severe burns were caused to our client’s upper body, when medical equipment malfunctioned during an operation. We took on the medical negligence claim on a no win no fee basis, and won our client’s claim.
- **Medication Errors:** Our medical negligence solicitors recently settled a claim where the wrong medication was given to our client, causing nausea, headaches, and thinning of the blood. We won the case on a no win no fee basis, with no financial risk to our client.
**The Role of Medical Negligence Solicitors:**
MG Legal's team of experienced solicitors specializes in medical negligence claims. We guide victims through the legal process, from understanding their case to seeking rightful compensation.
Understanding medical negligence is crucial for patients who have suffered due to substandard medical care. MG Legal is committed to providing expert legal support to help you navigate these challenging situations.
**Call to Action:**
If you or a loved one has been affected by medical negligence, don't hesitate to reach out to MG Legal for professional advice and representation.
MG Legal - Your Local Solicitors
Tagged as: Accident Solicitors, Best Medical Negligence Solicitors, Best Personal Injury Solicitors, Garstang Solicitors, Lancaster Law, Longridge, Personal Injury Law, Preston Solicitors, Road Traffic Accident Solicitors, Solicitors Preston, Your Local Solicitors
Share this post: