Longridge: 01772 783314 | Garstang: 01995 602129 | Lancaster: 01524 581306 
Longridge: 01772 783 314 
Garstang: 01995 602 129 
Lancaster: 01524 581 306 
A couple with a ring on each of their thumbs, with smiley faces drawn on.
Following the introduction of The Civil Partnership (Opposite-sex Couples) Regulations 2019, the first civil partnership ceremonies took place on New Year’s Eve 2019, granting the same rights as married couples. 
Alison and David, two of the first people to enter into a civil partnership as an opposite sex-couple, stated that they would have preferred that the law granted co-habiting partners the same rights as those who were married or in a civil partnership, however they expressed their gratitude to those who fought for them to be able to have the same rights as same-sex couples. 
The couple explained that added benefits also included inheritance tax advantages, and additional pension rights. 

Contact our Family Law specialists 

An article published by Family Law Week sets out the couple’s full statement, as well as pointing out that couples who do enter into a civil partnership, regardless of whether it’s same-sex or opposite-sex, should consider re-writing their Wills, as these will be voided by the formation of the new civil partnership. 
The article also warns how, according to an article published by the telegraph.co.uk, any couples who have children together with births registered before their civil partnership is formed, will need to re-register their children’s births under the 1976 Legitimacy Act. However, under the introduction of the Family Reform Act 1987, there is now no legal distinction between children who are born to legitimate or illegitimate children. 
What else will change for couples who decide to enter into a civil partnership? 
Well, our team of family law solicitors in Lancaster have been looking at what changes could affect new civil partners: unlike if you are just co-habiting, if you’re in a civil partnership you will need to make sure that you’re in it for at least a year because, until that time period has ended, you will be unable to dissolve the civil partnership. 
Likewise, you will have to register your civil partnership. You can find out more about how to do this on the Citizen’s Advice Bureau, here
If you’re looking to make a new Will before or after you enter into your civil partnership, or you’re getting married and want to make sure that you’re covered, contact our team of local wills solicitors, here, or email wills@mglegal.co.uk
If you’ve entered into a civil partnership and you’ve decided that you want to dissolve it, contact our family law solicitors in Lancaster on 01524 581 306 or email family@mglegal.co.uk
MG Legal – Your Local Solicitors 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 


Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings