MG Legal Solicitors 
Longridge: 01772 783314 Garstang: 01995 602129 Lancaster: 01524 581306 Lytham: 01253 202452  
A search engine.
You’ve trawled through Rightmove, Zoopla, and every estate agents in the local area, and you’ve finally found the house of your dreams. You’re offer has been accepted, and now it’s time to find the right legal team to deal with your purchase, and associated sale. You’ve heard of a new local property solicitors on the high street that are receiving rave reviews, and your mother in law swears by her sister’s cousin’s mate who’s a ‘property lawyer’ and you’ve heard, in your local, that the landlord used a licensed conveyancer, his mate, Dave, when he bought the pub. 
So you’re now on the internet, confounded. Searching for a suitably qualified legal expert to make the big move happen. And with this in mind, I think we should explain the difference. 
Bear in mind the writer is somewhat from the old school, and decided to study law at college, followed by an honours degree in Law at university, with the ensuing 3 years taken up with an extortionately prices course in legal practice (the famous LPC), and 2 years’ worth or articles, or seats, as they are now known. A property solicitor is a qualified solicitor, holding a right of audience in the courts of England and Wales, and who chooses to practise in property law. They have gone down the route, as described above, and studied a minimum of 3 seats, or areas of law whilst undertaking their training, and, at the end of all the blood, sweat, and often, tears, made the decision to work in the conveyancing department of their local property solicitor. 

Contact our Property specialists 

And a licensed conveyancer? Well, the end result is that you have a suitably-qualified legal expert to deal with your property sale or purchase, but the journey to qualification is indeed very different. To qualify as a Licensed Conveyancer the Level 4 Diploma in Conveyancing Law and Practice and the Level 6 Diploma in Conveyancing Law and Practice must be completed. Both diplomas could be completed in as quick as 18 months. This must be combined with 1200 hours of practical experience. It is worth bearing in mind that, in most instances at least, a licensed conveyancer will be qualified just to deal with issued relating to property, residential or commercial, and not any other legal issue, like a solicitor can (remember that a solicitor qualifies after learning at least 3 different areas of the law). 
And a property lawyer? Well, I’m sorry to disappoint, but the term is simply a generalisation, and encapsulates, every qualified legal professional qualified to carry out your property transaction. Solicitor, Legal Executive, Licensed Conveyancer- all property lawyers, and all more than capable of carrying out a property transaction for you. If you are looking for more in-depth knowledge of other areas of the law, Family Law, Wills and Probate, Lasting Powers of Attorney, or of course, Personal Injury, then you will probably need to find a decent local solicitor
Any queries, legal questions? Then please do not hesitate to get in touch
MG Legal – Your Local Solicitors 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 


Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings