Do You Need A Family Law Solicitor To Help With Adoption?
Posted on 12th March 2020
Unfortunately, the adoption process does take months to complete, and for the protection of all involved it is in not simply a case of filling in a form then a child is handed over. One morning spent with your local family law Solicitor and you will hear the phrase time and again; “we have to ensure that the best interests of the child are represented” and the best way to make sure that this happens is to reach out to Lancaster’s family law Solicitors for legal assistance.
What are the criteria for adoption?
• You must be 21 years old or over
• Must have a permanent home in the UK, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands.
• And have lived in the UK for a minimum of one year before you applied for adoption.
• Once the adoption is granted the child gets the same rights as your own birth child.
• Parental responsibilities are taken away from the birth parent(s) or anyone else who had been responsible for the child.
It is also important to note:
• To be adopted a child must be under the age of 18 and not (or never have been) married
• Both birth parents must consent to the adoption unless the are found to be incapable of giving consent
How can a Family Law Solicitor help?
The adoption process can be lengthy as it requires police checks, reports and references.
Our Family Law solicitors in Lancaster can assist by informing you what to expect depending on your own circumstances, whether that be step-parent adoption, private adoption or other situation.
If you want to take advantage of our expertise and knowledge or you run into issues and need someone to represent you in the family court contact email@example.com or call 01524 581 306.
MG Legal – Your Local Solicitors
Share this post: