Longridge: 01772 783314 | Garstang: 01995 602129 | Lancaster: 01524 581306 
 
Longridge: 01772 783 314 
Garstang: 01995 602 129 
Lancaster: 01524 581 306 
We’ve recently talked about hands-free Bluetooth technology being used more and more in cars, so the question that our Personal Injury Solicitors in Preston are asking today, is whether this technology should be used more frequently in our homes – especially in those rooms where electricity could cause death. 
 
Our question comes after our team reading of a recent case in Russia where a 26-year-old woman has been killed after her plugged-in mobile phone is believed to have slipped into the water, where she was taking a bath. 
 
Ahead of the funeral, friends and family have posted tributes on the woman’s social media, and her mother shared the details of how she found her daughter, allegedly holding her phone in one hand, and a bath plug in the other. 
Unfortunately, this is not the first case of someone dying after using their mobile phone in the bath. In fact, there have been numerous cases in the past year, following the increased number of people using their phone in the bath, whilst it was plugged in charging. 
 
So, out team of Personal Injury solicitors in Preston wonder whether the new way forward may be to promote the use of hands-free technology, such as Bluetooth speakers, to prevent any further incidents from occurring again. 
 
Whilst the use of hands-free technology has been criticised in some settings, such as the potential it has to distract drivers in their cars, the technology could prove to have some major benefits when it comes to preventing death and personal injury, by water related incidents. 
 
For example, Bluetooth mirrors can be installed in the bathrooms, which can sync up to a person’s mobile phone. Alternatively, a cheaper wireless speaker could be used in the bathroom. 
 
In the UK, this is less of an issue, as there cannot be any mains electric plug sockets installed into bathrooms, unless they are a minimum of 3 meters away from the bath or shower (according to https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home/bathroom-safety/). The only sockets which can be closer, are electrical shaver points, however these too have to be a safe distance away from baths or showers to avoid splashes. 
 
In terms of light fittings, a pull cord is preferable over a switch, however switches must be enclosed and out of reach of someone using, or still wet from, the bath or shower. 
 
MG Legal – Your Local Solicitors 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 

Tags

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings