Longridge: 01772 783314 Garstang: 01995 602129 Lancaster: 01524 581306 Lytham: 01253 202452  
Brexit: the word that almost every person in the UK dreads hearing (especially those in Parliament!). 
A lot of us may think that Brexit won’t really affect our everyday lives, but it’s becoming more apparent that it could have an impact on things we take for granted. 
A number one concern for many holiday-goers, is driving. Currently, if you hold a valid driving licence in Great Britain or Northern Ireland, you can drive in all countries in the European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA), so this includes all of the countries in the EU, which you can find a list of here, plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway and, although its neither part of the EU or EEA, Switzerland. 
Whilst you can drive in other European countries which aren’t part of the EU, you may need additional permits, such as an International Driving Permit (IDP). For a list of which countries require an IDP, and which one you will need, you can see the website, here. 
So, if you’re planning on driving through Europe, make sure your journey is covered. Whilst our team of Personal Injury Solicitors in Lancaster aren’t experts in applying for IDPs or how your car insurance will work abroad, we may be able to help you if you’re in a road traffic accident on your travels – providing that you make sure your insurance is valid! 
So, if you’re travelling abroad, what else could change? 
Well, the guidance provided on the website could be considered slightly vague, considering that, due to the uncertainty of the Brexit deal at this time, the advice provided is all two ways: if we have a Brexit deal, and if we end up with a no-deal Brexit. 
However, we’ve summed up the keys points below: 
No-deal Brexit Deal Brexit (NDB) v Deal Brexit (DB) 
NDB - You’ll need at least six months on your passport, and your passport must be less than 10 years old (even if there’s more than 6 months left on it).  
DB - Things are likely to stay the same as they are now – your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay only. 
NDB - You may need a Visa for some countries, or trips that are long (although, until we actually leave and each country confirms its requirements, this could be subject to change). You may also have to show that you have enough money for your trip, as well as providing proof of your ticket home. Another big thing, which many of us definitely will get wrong, is that you will have to use the lane for countries outside the EU.  
DB - Most likely, like it is now, no visa will be required. 
NDB - Currently, as citizens of the UK, we have the luxury of an European Health Insurance Card which means that we get free health care abroad, providing that we have insurance who will pay the fees on our behalf. After Brexit, we would need to have travel insurance in place, and we would be expected to pay our own fees not covered by the insurance.  
DB - Our EHICs should continue if we have a deal Brexit. 
NDB - If we leave the EU, we will no longer get to use our data abroad for free (Oh, the horrors!).  
DB - Our data-free luxury would continue (oh, please let this continue!). 
Now, if you’re travelling abroad in the EU after the end of October 2019, make sure you’re up to date and have everything you need, or else you could face some hefty fines. 
Whilst our team of Personal Injury Solicitors in Lancaster offer home visits, and are on-hand to guide you through your road traffic accident personal injury compensation claim, we can’t fly to Europe to drop off your driving licence or other important documents, so make sure you have everything you need before you set off! 
MG Legal – Your Local Solicitors 
Share this post:

Leave a comment: 


Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings