MG Legal Solicitors 
Longridge: 01772 783314 Garstang: 01995 602129 Lancaster: 01524 581306 Lytham: 01253 202452  

Judicial separation. 

Some people who separate from his/her spouse may not wish to divorce but may still want some legal recognition that the relationship has ended in order to feel that they can move on with their own lives. This article will discuss judicial separation as an alternative to divorce and how it is established. 
A judicial separation does not legally end the marriage but it does have the effect of terminating all marital obligations. In addition, there is no marriage duration requirement, therefore, couples can apply for a judicial separation even if they have been married for less than a year. 

Get in touch and talk to a family law expert now. 

Understanding, professional and completely deidcated to your cause; contact MG Legal's family law experts and we will get back to you within one business hour. 
You never know what life will throw at you, and there are times when you need the best advice on Family Issues; even if it’s just to put your mind at rest. 
Our leading family law experts offer an initial 30 minute consultation and pride ourselves on client care (so, basically looking after you), and negotiating the best settlement to suit your requirements. 
There are a number of reasons why a person may prefer judicial separation to divorce, including the following: 
They are opposed to divorce, usually due to religious reasons 
There is an absolute bar to divorce within the first year of marriage and a judicial separation allows for a formal acknowledgement of the marital status for those that have been married less than a year 
They want time and space to work out if they want to completely end the marriage 
It may be difficult to prove the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage necessary for a divorce, and the parties do not wish to wait until they have been separated for at least two years before taking some formal action 
A decree of judicial separation can be granted for any of the facts which would justify a divorce, for example, behaviour, adultery, etc. However, it is not necessary to prove that the marriage has irretrievably broken down, ie that there is no chance of reconciliation. The procedure for obtaining judicial separation is more or less the same as divorce, the only difference being that there is only one decree granted in judicial separation, provided the Court is satisfied that the Petitioner is entitled to a decree, whereas in divorce there are two decrees, namely decree nisi and decree absolute. 
A judicial separation has three main effects, these are: 
The spouses are no longer obliged to live together 
The Court can exercise all the powers which it has to divide the matrimonial property just as in the case of a divorce. It is important to note, however, that the Court cannot make any orders in respect of pensions 
The decree operates just like a divorce in terms of the effects on any Will; the spouse no longer takes any benefits unless a new Will is made specifically stating that the spouse is to benefit. 
As listed above out of the three effects a judicial separation has, the second one is of the utmost importance as it allows both parties to enjoy the division of the matrimonial property despite their remaining married. 
Judicial separation is not used often. For most people divorce would be a much better choice because judicial separation does not really allow people to move on. 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings