Longridge: 01772 783314 | Garstang: 01995 602129 | Lancaster: 01524 581306 
Longridge: 01772 783 314 
Garstang: 01995 602 129 
Lancaster: 01524 581 306 

Food poisoning compensation experts. 

Have you suffered a food- related illness or injury after dining out, or buying items from a supermarket or shop? If you have, contact MG Legal and speak to one of our personal injury experts to discuss whether you have a claim against the supplier of the food or drink.  
MG Legal's solicitors specialising in personal injury, accept all food poisoning and food related injury compensation claims, on a NO WIN NO FEE basis, meaning there is no financial risk to you. 
Contact our team of expert personal injury solicitors, and we will have your claim started straight away. 

Why choose MG Legal? 

MG Legal’s expert personal injury solicitors have a success rate in excess of 99% and settle many thousands of personal injury claims, on a yearly basis. Call your nearest office now, or email us at injury@mglegal.co.uk, and one of our personal injury specialists will make contact with you today. 

I've been made ill from contaminated food. What type of compensation can I claim for? 

Whenever you buy a food or drink item, you are owed a duty of care by the supplier; whether it's a restaurant, café, food stand, hotel, supermarket or corner shop - they must provide you with food or drink of a satisfactory quality, and which is safe for you to consume.  
There are various standards that must be met with all food products, particularly detailed under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which sets out that goods and services must be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, and as described. Estimates place the number of food poisoning cases per year in excess of 2 million and so, this is still very much a real issue. Types of claim you can make include: 
Burns from hot items 

Have you been injured in the last three years? 

Get in touch today to start your claim for personal injury compensation 
MG Legal accept all Personal Injury Compensation claims on a "No Win, No Fee" basis and have a success rate of over 99% 

What type of injury can I claim for in a food or drink related illness and injury claim? 

Depending on the nature of the negligent act, injuries and illness arising from food and drink claims can vary greatly- from food poisoning from out of date food, to damage to teeth due to metal objects such as screws in a sandwich. Below are some of the most common injuries MG Legal's solicitors that specialise in personal injury claims, have helped clients claim compensation for: 
• Gastric illness, also known as food poisoning, which often causes nausea,  
vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach cramps and fever; 
Secondary reactions or injuries, such as skin reactions or oesophageal tears; 
• Dehydration; 
• Illness or death from carbon monoxide (from staying in poorly maintained hotel  
• Damage to the teeth or mouth, from foreign objects such as a metal screw,  
stone, or bone in a sandwich or pie. 
• Choking on foreign objects; 
• Allergic reactions to unknown allergens whether not listed on packaging or not  
advised by staff when queried; 
• Burns from food, drink or surfaces that are not properly protected, packaged or  
• Psychological injuries/trauma. 

What other types of loss can I claim for? 

Food poisoning and food-related injuries can often incur secondary losses, known as Special Damages. MG Legal’s expert personal injury solicitors will ensure that your claim is dealt with comprehensively so you are not out of pocket at the end of the case.  
Special Damages often include: 
• Lost Earnings 
• Medical Expenses 
• Transport Costs 
• Care and Assistance Costs (including family or friends looking after your  
• Refund of cost of your meal/food/hotel 
• Replacement items such as clothing or dental items 
• Mileage for Travel 
• Diminution of value of holiday (if you get ill whilst staying away from home) 
If you are unsure about any potential loss, speak to one of our specialist solicitors and they will advise on what evidence you will need to help recover the loss. If in doubt, hold on to any paperwork, receipts, emails, diaries or invoices and then provide these to our offices and we will endeavour to recover the full value of your loss. 

What evidence do I need for a food and drink illness compensation claim? 

Food and drink related illness can be more difficult to prove that, say, a Road Traffic Accident, simply because in many cases, you have left the hotel or restaurant and the cause of the illness has been disposed of before you know you are ill. 
Should you know about a problem with the food or drink whilst it is still in your possession, try to take a photograph of the cause, if you are served undercooked chicken for example, take a photograph of the “pink” middle, or in the case of a foreign object, a photograph of the offending item. It can assist if you make a report to the restaurant or shop where you purchased the meal, showing the manager where possible the issue you have found. 
The same applies for any item which you believe has caused an allergic reaction, keeping hold of the wrapper, taking photographs of any labels on a shelf or serving counter and if possible, retaining the item itself by freezing it in a sealed container can all help with supporting your claim at a later date. 
This is, of course, not always possible and so if you become ill, a medical examination is generally advisable, primarily for your own health and wellbeing but also because any tests that are performed can identify the specific microbe that has caused your illness. The same goes for any injury, seeking medical attention following any choking or mouth injury and dental attention for any tooth injury. 
Burns and other external physical injuries again should be reported and wherever possible, photographs taken showing that there was no “warning” sign on the side of a surface or that your hot beverage was not put into a properly safe takeaway cup with a tight-fitting lid. 
In many of these cases, much of the evidence required will come from ‘behind the scenes’ such as hygiene or health and safety audits, history of illnesses and staff training policies. These are all items that your expert solicitor will obtain in support of your claim from the fault party or their insurance company. 
If in doubt, contact MG Legal and ask to speak to one of our personal injury specialist solicitors for further advice. 

How long do I have to make a claim? 

Subject to the Limitation Act 1980, if you have suffered personal injury as a result of food or drink related illness, you have three years to pursue a claim for compensation. There are exceptions, for those under 18 years old at time of the injury, in that minors have three years from their 18th birthday within which to make a personal injury claim. Time limits may differ if you are acting on behalf of someone with limited mental capacity, if you are acting as guardian or subject a lasting power of attorney. If you have any questions or queries, then please do not hesitate to contact one of MG Legal’s personal injury experts, here. 

Why choose MG Legal for a food and drink illness compensation claim? 

MG Legal are experts in the personal injury field and our specialist solicitors deal with this type of claim every day. All claims accepted are handled on a No Win No Fee basis, at no financial risk to you and our success rate for obtaining compensation for our clients exceeds 99%. With MG Legal you are in safe hands and our down-to-earth approach to our clients is geared towards ensuring that you understand what is going on with your claim at all times and being confident that there is no firm better suited to your needs than MG Legal. 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings