NO WIN NO FEE Nationwide Claims |.Most Claims Handled Online | 99% Success Rate On Claims 
Call Any Branch : Longridge: 01772 783314 | Garstang: 01995 602129 | Lancaster: 01524 581306  
Apply Online | Enquire via Email: 
Longridge: 01772 783 314 
Garstang: 01995 602 129 
Lancaster: 01524 581 306 

MG Legal, Leading Family Law Solicitors. The team that put you first. Contact us to speak to a solicitor today: 01772 783314 or email at: 

Do I have to name the person my spouse committed adultery with? 

The short answer is no, you do not have name the person that your spouse has committed adultery with on your divorce petition, in fact doing so is quite rare, and could potentially lead to delays with your divorce, as the other party may not be willing to admit to an affair with your spouse and they will have every right to seek their own legal representation. Divorce proceedings based on adultery can proceed without naming the co-respondent, instead they will be referred to as “unnamed man/unnamed woman” on the Court paperwork. 

Get in touch and talk to a family law solicitor today. 

Understanding, professional and completely dedicated to your cause;  
contact MG Legal's Family Law experts and we will get back to you within one business hour. 

Can I name the other person if I want to? 

If a petitioner does wish to name the co-respondent then it is advisable for the co-respondent to be sent a Form of Admission at the same time as the respondent – provided his/her address is known. This will then give an idea as to whether they will engage in the process. If the co-respondent does not return the form or makes it clear they will not co-operate, but the respondent is willing to admit to adultery if the co-respondent is not named, then it is worth agreeing not to name the co-respondent. 
If the co-respondent is named then once the divorce petition has been issued the Court will send a sealed copy to the co-respondent together with an Acknowledgement of Service form. If the co-respondent fails to return the form, or the co-respondent is not willing to admit to the adultery, then the petition cannot proceed as it stands and will need to be amended to either remove the co-respondent’s name or to behaviour rather than adultery. 

How does this affect costs? 

One other matter to consider on an adultery petition where the co-respondent is named is whether you want the co-respondent to contribute towards costs. Including a costs claim for the co-respondent may inflame the situation and may cause delays. Although difficult, it may be a time to put anger and bitterness aside and try to think on a more practical level, as your actions in relation to costs may have the result of causing yourself more pain, distress and expense – not the co-respondent. 
One final thing to note is that the Practice Direction, found in the Family Procedure Rules of 2010 states that a co-respondent should not be named. Therefore, if your divorce solicitor advises you against naming the co-respondent, it is not the case that they “don’t understand” or are “not listening” to any wishes you may have to name them, it is because they can see the possible pitfalls ahead! 

 Get in touch and talk to a Family Law expert now 

Understanding, professional and completely dedicated to your cause; 
contact MG Legal's Family Law experts and we will get back to you within one business hour. 
Here at MG Legal, we know that the advice given could affect the rest of your life: so we sit, listen, and advise as to the options, before doing more than any other legal team to achieve the best outcome in your case.  
Click below to learn more about our team, and why they are the right family solicitors for you.  
Expert legal services across England and Wales: 
No matter where you are located across England and Wales, MG Legal's expert Family Law solicitors are here to help you to achieve the best possible outcome in your family law matter. 
To speak to a solicitor today, contact us online here. Or give us a call on 01772 783314 
Free Consultation 
Nationwide Services 
Decades of Experience 
No Win No Fee Injury Claims 
Multiple Office Locations 
Fully-Qualified Solicitors 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings