Longridge: 01772 783314 | Garstang: 01995 602129 | Lancaster: 01524 581306 
Longridge: 01772 783 314 
Garstang: 01995 602 129 
Lancaster: 01524 581 306 

Can I make gifts as a Deputy? 

Once the application has been completed, the Court will include a statement as to whether or not you can buy gifts or give people gifts of money on behalf of the person who lacks capacity. This would also include gifts of donations to charity. The Court Order may also specify any annual limit on the number of gifts (or the total amount spent on gifts) that you can make. 
If you are allowed to make gifts under the Court Order, these should always be reasonable, and they must not reduce the level of care that the person lacking capacity will receive or that they can afford. 
If you wanted to make a larger gift, for example for Inheritance Tax purposes, you would need to make a further application to the Court of Protection, who would consider how this gift would affect the person lacking capacity, and the effect that it could have on Inheritance Tax

Get in touch and talk to a wills and trusts expert today. 

MG Legal's expert private client solicitors are experienced in dealing with all aspects of wills, trusts, lasting powers of administration, probate matters and estate administration.  

Why choose MG Legal? 

MG Legal's friendly, expert team provide sound legal advice and at an affordable fixed cost, and at a time to suit you. We are available for telephone appointments, or for visits to our offices in Longridge, Lancaster or Garstang. Home visits are available, upon request. 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings